Uses to Protect the Environment
In addition to the uses already described, crushed limestone is found in a variety of applications that help protect the environment.
* Preventing sulfur from being emitted into the air by coal burning power plants using the methods of
(1) flue-gas desulfurization or (2) fluidized bed combustion.
* Prevention of flood damage as the major component of underground stormwater infiltration basins.
* Neutralizing acid drainage on coal mine reclamation projects.
* Neutralizing the effects of acid rain in lakes and streams.
* Prevention of soil erosion when used as gabion stone, rip-rap and drainage blankets.
* Sewage filtration systems.